Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Why I Won't be Tanking in Wrath

My thoughts on playing a warrior tank have really boiled down to two things:

1.) I have no interest in being an off-tank. Ever.
2.) I don't necessarily want to be the main tank for every single raid I go to, and I don't always want all the extra responsibilities that fall on the MT position.

These statements do not exist well with each other.

Put a different way - I don't want to tank half-way, but tanking all-out is just too demanding to keep up. At least, not as long as I want to have a life outside of raiding.

You can't be a raid's MT only when it's convenient for you. A boss tank's consistent attendance is probably more important than any other position for most fights. It's hard enough to work up to a MT spot to begin with - if you miss a week or two, you'll probably find yourself replaced. WotLK will likely be this way, too. Guilds put an awful lot of reliance on one or two main tanks. It's not really their fault; the game was just designed that way. I really liked being that tank. It was a lot of fun, and I got very good at my role. But I realize I can't have it both ways.

That's why I've all but finally decided that my mage will be the first one I take to Northrend. I'm sure I'll still take my warrior to 80 to satisfy the occasional urge to tank, but my main activity will be burning, freezing, and blasting mobs to pieces. I'm looking forward to the change of pace. Now I just have to figure out whether to take up enchanting or inscription...

No comments: